Dairy FreeEgg FreeGluten FreeLow Carb & KetoNut FreePaleoVegan Jump to Recipe
Sugar free Mexican drinking chocolate is thick and silky, deeply chocolatey and just sweet enough! This version is sugar free.
What is Mexican Drinking Chocolate? It’s like hot cocoa’s sultrier, more confident older sibling. It’s thick and silky, deeply chocolatey and just sweet enough, with an unexpected (but by no means unwelcome) kick that hits in the back of your throat the very instant you’re sure you missed it. And no, it’s not called drinking chocolate because you should be drinking (alcohol) with it, but since you asked, and it *is* almost the weekend, I wouldn’t think you’re crazy if you added some tequila to your mug.
So, now that you know where my head is after this astonishingly long week, hello! And happy Friday! You can always tell what kind of week I’m having by my posting dates. If I’m on the ball and having one of those weeks where I delude myself into feeling like I have everything under control, then the posts go up on Tuesday and Thursday. A challenging week, it’s Wednesday and Friday. A –WEEK– (you know the kind), and there is only one post, if any at all. There you go: Fun Fact Friday!
But what was I saying about alcohol? Oh, yes. I need some. I mean: add some to this drink if you want to! But don’t get me wrong. It doesn’t need alcohol. I mean it’s basically one rung down the ladder from just melting a bowl of chocolate chips in the microwave and sticking a straw in it (that’s next week’s recipe) (kidding) (…probably).
So, no, you don’t need alcohol. What do you need?
- Chocolate. The good stuff. Unsweetened (please no Baker’s chocolate. Go big! I used Ghirardelli.).
- Coconut milk. Full fat, from a can. None of this watery carton nonsense. This is the big leagues.
- Vanilla and spices.
And time, if you have it. Of course, I don’t want to dissuade you from making this and drinking it immediately, but if you can, making it a day ahead and letting it sit in the fridge overnight for the spices to deepen and mingle will really make all the difference. I’ll tell you what: just make a double batch of this decadent Mexican drinking chocolate, so you can have some today AND tomorrow. Problem solved!
Continue to Content
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, (approx. 13 ounces)
- 2 ounces good quality unsweetened chocolate
- 4 Tablespoons granulated monk fruit sweetener , or granulated stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup water,, or adjust to your preferred consistency
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch cloves
- Coconut whipped cream for finishing,, optional
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and whisk until the chocolate is melted and the consistency is smooth and silky.
- Pour into mugs, garnish with whipped cream, and serve OR pour into an airtight container and refrigerate overnight, then reheat before serving.
- If you can, make this a day ahead and let it sit in the fridge overnight for the spices to deepen and mingle. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave before serving.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 349Saturated Fat: 30gSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gProtein: 5g
Did you make this recipe?
Pin for later: