Dairy FreeEgg FreeGluten FreeVeganWhole 30 Jump to Recipe
This real food clean green smoothie is a fantastic way to start your day! Packed with tons of fruit and veggies, it’s delicious and healthy.
Happy New Year! How was everyone’s holiday? I don’t know about you but I ate everything in sight. I’m still full. I feel like I have been eating nonstop for the last 3 weeks, and I really did have the best intention of working out but seriously, why doesn’t someone warn you that the show Scandal is so darn addictive? There is now a permanent butt indent on the couch. So worth it, though, and so, so greatly needed.Anyway, time to get back on the wagon. (Wo)man can not live on cookies alone. So I am proposing a thing, a healthy thing, that I am calling Detox January, which is code for “yummy things that will give your body a break from all the bad things”. Basically, I don’t want to give up delicious things in order to take the butter and sugar down a notch for a couple of weeks. You in?
It’ll be fun. Cookies for three meals a day sounds great on paper, but I think my body has had enough. (Do I sound old? I guess I’m old.) Come on, let’s do it.
We’ll do healthy right: no deprivation, no sacrificing flavor, just a month of good and good-for-you treats.
Like this smoothie, which has been my favorite breakfast lately. It’s bursting with fresh, bright flavors like lime, mint, and pineapple. If you use pineapple juice, it tastes like the tropics, like it should have a little paper umbrella sticking out of it. In fact, that wouldn’t be such a bad idea. But it is also healthy, light and nutritious – a great start to your day, and a nice antidote to the leftover cookies that, if you’re anything like me, you’ll probably be unable to resist later (oops).
Continue to Content
- 2 cups baby spinach, tightly packed
- 20 leaves mint, rinsed
- 1 large kiwi or 2 small kiwis, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium cucumber, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup pineapple juice, feel free to replace with coconut water or, in a pinch, regular water
- Put all of the ingredients, except for 1/2 cup of the juice in the blender, and blend until completely smooth.
- If you have trouble getting it smooth, add an additional 1/4 – 1/2 cup of the juice.
- Pour into a large glass, garnish with a slice of cucumber, lime, or a paper umbrella (optional), and enjoy.
- Yield: 1 smoothie
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 159Sodium: 54mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 3g
Did you make this recipe?